Hambrick House History
The original Roseland Plantation home was built
by Burwell Hampton Hambrick. Mr. Hambrick and his family were from
Georgia and then moved to Alabama in the 1840’s. In 1852 the Hambrick’s moved to Texas and bought 500 acres of
land from Thomas R. Buford. Over the next several years Mr. Hambrick bought more land bringing his total land
holdings to some 3300 acres.
Soon after buying the 500 acres from
Buford he started construction on his home. The house is made of wood with pegged mortise and tenon construction.
Bricks for the fireplace and foundation were made by hand on the plantation. In addition to the home Mr. Hambrick
also built a church, a private race track and the first cotton gin in Van Zandt County.
The house, located half way between
Dallas and Shreveport, served at times as a stagecoach stop and a change station for horses. In the early years it
also served as an area social center. After the civil war, Mr. Hambrick deeded much of his land to his former
slaves, and part of the plantation land became the foundation of the Redland High School and
In 1868 Hambrick formed a
partnership with George Humphrey to establish a cotton-thread mill in Tyler. The mill burned in 1869 and Mr.
Hambrick died a few months later. Mrs. Hambrick died in 1881 and left her home and the remaining 200 acres to her
two living children. In 1890, the children sold it to William S Herndon, and he owned it until 1919. That year Mr.
J.Y. Yates of Missouri purchased the home and land. Mr. Yates sold the property to Clyde Parker of Tyler in 1949.
From 1919 to 1954 the house was vacant and believed to be haunted. In 1954 Mrs. W.C. Windsor of Tyler bought the
home and 200 acres and started the restoration.
In 1966 the Texas Historical
Commission placed a marker on the home. This was the first historical marker for restoration given in the state of
Texas. The marker was presented by Mrs. John Connally, wife of then Texas Governor John Connally. Mrs. Windsor
owned the property for 47 years. Tim and Carolyn West purchased the home and land in 1998 and have done a complete
restoration of the home. The West’s have lived in the home for the past four years.
The Old South lives
Go to Home page from Site History